Thursday, September 15, 2011

Favorite Podcast: Tropical Banter

One of the podcasts I listen to regularly is Tropical Banter with Tirso Ripoll and Basti Artadi.
If the name sounds familiar to you then you know your Pinoy rock music. These guys are rock legends and it's awesome that they have a regular podcast.
What makes this podcast great is it's spontaneous: no scripts. The conversation is so natural that it's as if you were sitting at a bar and these two are right beside you. You can even hear them mixing their drinks as they talk, which in my opinion, makes it good radio.
My favorite segments are the "drink of the day" and the "dibidi" review. Look, these guys did not become famous for their bartending skills or for analysing movies...but i'd rather hear what real people drink and what people really watch.
In between, they play and review music and this is what I really like. In the podcast I listened to recently, they play and reviewed Neil Young. They include interesting tidbits about the artist which are not only amusing but also very informative. And yes, they do play a lot Razorback and Wolfgang from time to time.
It's great when they also talk about how the record labels have screwed over artists all this time. As Tirso would say,"we gotta stick it to the MAN".
I am sure some people may not like the "ranting" way that the guys discuss with each other (including expletives that would get fined heavily in the radio world...but perfectly okay with podcasting), but it does make it more authentic and entertaining for me.
Anyway, this is now one of a handful of podcasts that I listen to regularly. I hope they will stick around for a while.
ROCK. ON.

No comments: