Thursday, March 17, 2011

Kindle works on the iPhone and iPad

Just like everybody else, I was skeptical of e-books as a medium. After all, books have always been on paper. Besides, the LCD screen looked like it could be harmful to my eyes. My wife told me about the Kindle app on the iPad and iPhone and I thought of giving them a go. I downloaded a free Sherlock Holmes book but never got around to reading it.

I really wanted to read Stieg Larrson's Milleniium Trilogy but I didnt want to spend too much on it. We went around the book shops here like Big W, Borders and Dymocks but they all cost from $16 to $26 each. We felt it was too much (yeah right, I sometimes spend that much on comicbooks every week). No luck with book sales too as people snapped them up as soon as the doors opened (a pity because they sell books from $2 to $10). So I went online to my favorite online store, Amazon. The cheapest book was an e-book at $7! Since I wouldnt be true to being Mr. Cheap, I went for it.

It was so easy to read. It was convenient on the bus and bus stops, in the lounge and while doing your "business". Best of all, i could read it easily while lying down on the bed without switching on my reading lamp.

A lot of people will still buy paperbacks. I'm sure they will be around for many years. But having these e-books around is just great for money conscious guys like me who want their books cheap and easily accessible.

1 comment:

Jinoe said...

Same here. I like how convenient Kindle for iPad is. Reading it is easy and i can take it anywhere.

Kindle is also in Blackberry and they just sync themselves automatically. So your devices knows the last page you were in.

I love the built-in dictionary as well.

But the ipad is quite heavy to use when reading while lying down.

And yes, it is cheaper per book. :D