Friday, April 15, 2011

GoGet: Why Own When You Can Share?

Every morning, when I walk to work, I walk past a parking slot that has been painted a bright green with the words "CARSHARE". It was something curious for me because it was free while all the other non-painted slots were always taken.
As I found out later, these slots were marked by the city council to reserve them for carsharing vehicles. Its own way of encouraging people to "share" cars instead of buying them (and adding to the congestion in the city). I think it's a great idea. It's both traffic and environment friendly. A lot people don't use their cars to go to the city anyway.
From the owner's point of view, they don't have to carry the huge burden of a mortgage and car insurance for a second car. Businesses can avoid using capital on buying cars and just.
The slot that I always see seems to be always occupied by a car from GoGet.The car looks new. From what I can understand from the website, you will pay a reasonable membership fee. Afterwards, you only pay whenever you use the car. All cars come fitted with a GPS and members can check the website for available cars in the area.

No comments: